Sunday, March 17, 2013

2012 Year in Review Part III

Well I can't believe it's been 2 months since I posted anything....boy have I been lazy!  I guess I should try to be better and try to finish up my Year in Review!!

So I left off at the end of June...a busy month indeed but the next two months seemed just as busy...

July 2012...

The month started out GREAT! My parents left my niece and nephew to visit and my sister and brother in law came a day later to "claim" their children (and visit Iowa for the first time).  I only get to see my sister about once every 18 months so to say I enjoyed the visit was an understatement!  During their visit we just hung out and visited.  I also took them to their first parade in Iowa...4th of July...and since they are used to parades in New Orleans it was definitely different.  We played Twister, my sister and niece tie-died some shirts with the kids, and just generally had fun!


 

The week after my sister's visit my boys went to "summer" camp but it was a Heros' Safety Camp.  This was held by the local Police and Fire Department to help teach kids how to be Safety heros.  The boys had a great time and learned all kinds of fun stuff.

But the "fun" of our week was Thursday morning.  My daughter found a tick in her hair...we had gone on a hike at a local county conservation park a few days earlier and somehow the tick survived in our house.  I know it wasn't on her the whole time because we checked and it was alive and burrowing when she discovered it.  So since it was 7am, my husband was already at work, I couldn't get it out (although I tried multiple things), and I do NOT deal with bugs (especially burrowing into my child's head) off to the ER we went.  While it may have only taken the doctor a minute or two to extract it we were there for about 1.5 hours...but hey we got out in time to get my sons to Day 4 of Heros' Safety Camp.  Well with the tick the doctor thought antibiotics might be a good idea, just in case, so my daughter started on a ten day dose of Amoxicillon.  So all was good (we thought) and we went about our business.  The weekend came and it brought a Tiger Cub Safari overnight campout!  Hank and I went together and neither of us had EVER been camping!  It was a fun time for both of us.  We had 24 hours of one on one time and got to experience a lot of "firsts" together.  After a weekend camp out our next visitor arrived.

 

My 19 yr old niece (from my husband's side) came for a visit.  We had fun.  The kids and she got to spend lots of time together and she and I got to catch up on life.  That week there was a B-29 bomber that came to our local airport.  We went and got to see it up close.
 
It was awesome!  But we also learned that week that my daughter is allergic to amoxicillon.  After about 7 days of antibiotics she broke out into some HORRIBLE hives.  This required calls to the doctors office, over the phone medication advice and after it getting worse a trip to the ER the next day!  

But the most exciting thing that happened to us in July was to find out we were expecting our 4th child.  We were shocked and THRILLED.
 
August 2012...
 
August was another busy month for us.  We went on our roadtrip vacation.  We went to the East Coast this roadtrip to visit both my brother and my husband's family as well as seeing some new state capitols. 



We were able to visit Charleson, WV (we've driven by this before but never went in before), Dover, DE, Annapolis, MD, and Harrisburg, PA.   In addition to these state capitols we actually spent a day in Washington, D.C. and got to see the US Capitol building. By the time we made it to the Capitol it was closed but that was okay.  The kids got to see A LOT of things in D.C. that day and it gives us a reason to go back.

We also visited with family on this vacation.  We got to see my brother and nephew, which we hadn't seen in 4 years, so he got to meet his niece for the first time.  We also went to the beach and the kids got to get into the Atlantic Ocean for the first time in their lives. 

One of the last things we did on our vacation was we stopped by Hershey, PA on the way to Harrisburg.  We spent a few hours at the Hershey "factory" and got to see how chocolate was made.  We want to go back to the amusement park one day but for now this was able to give us a good idea if we would want to go back.


After getting back from vacation we had a quieter month until the end when school began.  I have a 3rd grader, 1st grader and preschooler now!


Hopefully I'll be able to finish put my Year in Review in one more posting.  Since it's mid-March already I would hope I can do it soon.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment