Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Radio Contest, Part II

Last week I told about how I won a Radio Contest and the prize was tickets to the Alan Jackson concert.

Now I can tell about the actual concert!

It was a 7pm concert and as I said on my last blog the show was about 2 1/2 hours away from home.    My friend came to my house around 4pm after I picked my boys up from school and got home.  My husband arrived home soon after so after he changed into his casual clothes we told the kids goodbye and got on the road.

In the midwest in November the sun sets between 4:30pm and 4:45pm so it was very weird getting on the road at sunset.  But off we went.  We had a very good and uneventful ride to Des Moines with a short stop on the way to get us a quick bite to eat.  The weather couldn't have been better.  We were very lucky for early November.  The sky was clear and the temperature was only in the 40s.

We got to the concert arena right before 7pm and by the time we found a parking lot that wasn't too far away and walked the concert we were in our seats by 7:10pm.  This was great because although a concert had started it was just one of the TWO opening acts.

Although our tickets said "Alan Jackson,"

not the clearest picture but you get the hint
he had TWO opening acts.  I really hadn't heard of either one but that's okay, that's how opening acts get known.  The opening acts were Casey James and David Nail.  (*side note...while getting these web addresses I learned Casey James was a runner up on American Idol...I don't watch the show so who knew?)

The two opening acts were okay.  I wasn't really impressed with them but I wasn't there to see them so it's okay.  And hey, the tickets were $50 dollar tickets and were FREE!!! So no complaints about the opening acts here.  Well one complaint....when you are singing into a microphone plus have your mouth far enough away from the microphone that your audience can understand what you are saying....but that's it about the actual opening acts.

The only other complaint I have about the show in total was the breakdown/set-up in between the acts.  I understand each band has their own instruments and that the instruments need to be moved on and off the stage but it took between 20-25 mins between EACH of the acts.  This means that there is between 40-50 mins of "down" time.  My husband and I aren't real big drinkers (especially with me being pregnant and having a 2.5 hour drive home) so we weren't up and down getting more drinks and I know a lot of people were but really that was WAY TOO much down time!!!

Okay so now to the important part of the night..the Headliner...Alan Jackson.

He was great!  Our seats were great! And he played for almost 2 full hours even though that he didn't get on stage until 5 minutes after 9pm.

About our seats....we didn't have floor seats which is fine....I don't want to have to look through people or stand the whole time anyway...we had row D (4 rows from the floor) seats and we were about the equivalent of 15 rows back from the stage.

The view from our seats (this is during one of the change of bands)

Alan Jackson is an awesome entertainer.  He is not one that runs all over the stage and dances around a lot he just puts his heart and soul into his songs....which is why he is such a good entertainer.  He has over 30 Number 1 hits plus the hundreds of other songs.  He easily played 20 songs that night as well as talking to us between songs and telling stories.

a picture of us during a wait.  I didn't put makeup on so not my best picture ;) 

One of the great things of the set up of the stage was the Jumbo screens.  Even though we had great seats it was nice to be able to sit back and watch him on the big screens also.  And during some songs he played videos in the background on the screens that were fun to watch also.  Here are a few more pictures I took that night.



a view of Alan from one of the Jumbo Screens



It was a great concert.  I don't know if I would have bought the tickets just because of where and
when it was.  A weekend or a local concert and yes I think I might have entertained the thought but  I'm glad I we got the tickets.

It was a great date night for us and we both enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment