Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A visit to Grand Canyon National Park

So back in March I shared about the National Parks that my family and I have visited.  Well in June we were fortunate to be able to visit another one.  The GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK can now be checked off my list of parks we've visited.

On our way home from California we made sure our trip home was via the Grand Canyon.

My dad jokes around that "it's just a hole in the ground" so why go see it but let me say....it's a pretty impressive hole in the ground.

 Colorado River at the bottom of the Grand Canyon





My pictures don't do this wonderful part of nature justice.  I have to say it was amazing and I hope in the future we get to go back to it and actually get to hike down into the canyon.

I hope everyone gets to see this amazing "hole in the ground" and see what our country has to offer.

We were very lucky.  A very nice stranger offered to take our family picture at the Southern Rim.  This was great for a couple of reasons: 1) I had forgotten to bring my tripod on our vacation (silly me), 2) I didn't have to worry about someone knocking my tripod over and breaking my camera, and 3) we actually got a family picture on vacation.


One of the great things that happens when my family travels is we eat a LOT of picnics.  With 3 kids it can get VERY expensive to eat out all the time.  But in addition to the expense of eating out it also makes it fun and enjoyable when you can have a picnic and enjoy the scenery and nature.

Here are a couple of pics from our lunch in the Grand Canyon.  We actually didn't eat at the rim or where we had a view of the canyon but we ate in a forest like setting.  I am loved it because we weren't in the sun and I didn't have to worry about sun exposure time.

My husband getting food out and ready for the kids
Me and the kids after lunch just enjoying the time together.
Of course on our way in the traffic was pretty busy so I didn't get a sign of the entrance....but on our way out I did so here it is!

On the rest of our drive that day we passed two more National Parks but they were about 30-45 mins off of our route and we chose not to try to get to those this trip.  Of course when we got home my husband was talking to a co-worker who did the basic same drive and told us the other parks were even more impressive.....so now we have another goal on our next trip out West!!

What National Parks have you been to?  Did you enjoy your visits?

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I've always wanted to go to the Grand Canyon. I was SO good to finally meet you this past weekend :-) Let's stay in touch!

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes that IS an impressive hole in the ground! we visited my little bro in AZ and drove up to tour the Grand Canyon... I'm hoping in a few more years we can hike across it? (yes, we're crazy...)

    ReplyDelete