Saturday, April 9, 2011

My food waste for the MONTH of March!!

Last month I started a "regular" post for my blog with Food Waste Friday.  I use quotation marks for the word regular because I know I'm not going to do this every week or every 3rd Tuesday or whatever.  I am going to do this when I have some waste or try at least once a month.  I have to say I am AMAZED at how much knowing I'm supposed to take pictures of any food waste I have so that I can share it with my blog makes me more aware of the food in my refrigerator.  

As I said in my last blog on the subject, we have never been horrible at food waste but I think this past month has been the best month is a LONG time.  I know that one of the reasons it has been so good is my husband is taking more leftovers for lunch to change up his lunch a little and I have been trying to eat more leftovers at lunch also.

So anyway here goes....

I am proud to say I only have 3 pics, of 2 items, to share this month. 


These are some green onions.  We had them for about 2 weeks and I used almost all of them.  When I went to use these they were slimy so I decided they were unusable.


Grapes.  I love them, my husband loves eats them and 2 of my kids love them.  But as you can see they grew fur on them.  You may ask how this can happen when 4 out of 5 people in my house eat them.  Well I meant to bring them in the car with us when we went to Wisconsin one weekend and I forgot.  So 4 days later when we got home I found them like this.  It annoys me not just because they were a good sweet batch but also because grapes aren't the cheapest fruit right now.

I think that's pretty good for a month. I don't think I missed any since I'm being so careful.  I hope you haven't wasted much food.  I have a question though....is it Food Waste when there are a few bites of food left on a plate and it can't be saved so it gets thrown out???  When I say it can't be saved I mean like it has been mixed or touched some other food, or it's simply a bite of something.  I try not to clean my kids plate by eating their remains because I don't need that extra food and studies show that this is how parents can gain weight without even realizing what they are doing.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment