My boys have a healthy obsession with Firefighters, Policemen, and basically anything that has to do with Emergency Personnel. They have had this obsession for quite a few years, which is funny since they are 5 and 7 but ever since I can remember they have been in LOVE with everything Emergency related.
I think my oldest was 1 when he got his first fire engine toy and he soon got a police car toy to go with the fire engine so like I said it's been going on a while.
Because of this "like" that they have my husband and I started letting them watch the old TV show Emergency! It's a great old show and it used to come on every afternoon on RetroTV and since it was made in the 70s I didn't have to worry about alot of the violence that is on TV these days.
The show used a real fire station to film SOME of their scenes at and actually had real firefighters in some of the roles. The show is based in Los Angeles County and since we were there recently we decided to find the station and see how it looked today.
In the TV show the Fire Station was called "Station 51" but in real life it is Station 127. It looks pretty much the same as it did in the 70s on the TV show. It was nice to see that they haven't "updated" the outside too much (for us Emergency junkies). The area around it isn't much different from the aerial views either but I think that is because it's across the street from an oil refinery so there really isn't alot of space for growth of "new" businesses.
The TV Show was produced by Robert A. Cinader and it was nice to see that the County of Los Angeles has made a tribute to him at the station.
Not only did they put a plaque up they also renamed the station after him. The kids, my husband and I all enjoyed it. I got a picture with my husband in front of the station too.
I have to admit though...we didn't get inside. We thought about it but we decided we didn't want to "bother" the firefighters on duty with 3 young children, especially with 2 of them being so obsessed with not only firefighters but also the TV show that the station was a star.
I love how you got the whole crew in that last shot!
ReplyDelete