So back on March 2nd my washing machine started sounding like a Harley Davidson was revving it's engine in my basement. The longer the noise went on the louder it got. After a while it got so loud it sounded like the Harley had moved up into my first floor living space this is when I decided I should call the repairman.
Luckily for me there was an opening that afternoon to come and "fix" my machine. Well 3 1/2 hours later when the repairman got here it didn't take him long to be able to tell me that it was a bearing that was broken. It was going to be approximately 500 dollars to fix this problem. I liked the honesty of the repairman when he looked at me and said "Ma'am, I don't know of anyone who would spend that amount of money on a machine that is 8 1/2 years old, especially since you can get a new one for about that same price." I told him I thought he was right but I would call and confirm with my husband that this was not something we wanted to fix.
After talking to my husband we decided it was time to look for a new washing machine. So after telling the repairman that yes he was correct and that we would not be fixing the machine he was nice enough to let me know I could still use the machine but it would just be loud. I then asked, how would I know when the machine stopped working and he said "It will stop spinning," Well okay sounds good to me. Just some noise but I can deal with noise.
UNFORTUNATELY, I lulled myself into a false sense of a working washing machine and didn't get on the bandwagon for getting a new machine. I would look a little here and there on the computer at different brands and sales but never really committing to actually going to a store and buying a new machine. A dear friend of mine has a subscription to Consumer Reports so I was able to borrow her new Annual Buying Guide so I started looking at that also. It was nice to have that book and I think it is helped us narrow down some machines we are planning on looking at but unfortunately for me (or us, including my family in on this one) before I (or we, my husband and I) have taken the time to go and look at the machines our old one decided 2 weeks of making noise was enough...and it stopped spinning!
So now we are in the market for a new machine and we need to get one SOON. Five people can really build up ALOT of laundry in a quick amount of time. So today didn't work for us but tomorrow I am going Washing Machine shopping and hoping that my husband can join me during his lunch hour. And hoping that before we leave the store we will have a new machine on order, with the hopes of a QUICK deliver.
One good thing is I know we want another high efficiency washing machine. We've had ours for 8 1/2 years and have loved it. I wonder what bells and whistles the manufacturers have added to the machines since we bought our last one.
I'll let you know what one we decide on and when I get it. Let's hope for our clothes sake that we get a washer soon ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment